Thursday, July 14, 2011

Minimalist Shoes came in!

OK, so the long anticipated Merrell Barefoot Pace Gloves came in yesterday - I love them!! They fit like a glove, literally. I can feel the ground beneath my feet without pain or discomfort. They feel natural. While somewhat narrow (which works for me) they have plenty of room in the toe area, allowing my feet to spread out and be themselves. I got the black ones, which look pretty frickin' awesome with shorts, pants, or workout clothing. I took them out for a spin yesterday, a short little run/walk of about 1.55 miles. Surprisingly my calves didn't cry out for mercy like I had been warned. That could be because I've been running in what has been referred to as gateway shoes - running shoes that are between the traditional thickly cushioned and the true minimalist shoes. Maybe that was a good preparation for my legs. I will not be running in the Merrell's for the upcoming 4.5 mile race because I haven't had the time to fully adjust to them, so I will begin training in them next week. My hope is to run the 10K in September in them, followed by a half marathon in October.
I will try to update on the status after being able to run farther distances in them. Till then, adios, bonjour, good day!


***UPDATE***
I have been wearing the Merrells around the house and on a one mile walk this morning. The more I wear them the more aware of my feet and what they are doing/capable of. It's pretty amazing. I can feel the rocks and ruts under my feet, and my toes are able to grip and feel barefoot with the protection of the Vibram sole, which I still need at this point. I also noticed for the first time this morning how my feet had to work for stability. It was reassuring knowing that my muscles were doing the work, strengthening along the way. So...all in all I am thrilled with the purchase, and I am looking forward to a full transition to minimalist footwear. Thank you, Merrell. :)

No comments: