Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Plastic Ring

In my Government class, I have a classmate who is close to my age (maybe couple years younger) who is a single mom with three kids. She and I sit near each other and have struck up a little friendship over the last 8 weeks.

She wears a little plastic ring on her right index finger. It's the kind of ring that comes out of the $.25 vending machines. I always thought it was kinda cute that she wore it so I asked her about it one day. She said when her (now) 13 year old son was 4 years old, he got it from a quarter machine at a pizza place. He opened it and gave it to her, telling her how much he loved her. She told him that she'd never, ever take it off.

It has been on her hand for 9 years, and counting.

Doesn't that just warm your heart?

There truly is nothing humanly stronger than the love of a mother.

No comments: