Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Talents and Gifts...Possessions???

A very large dose of reality hit me the other day after I wrote about The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing.

I have been struggling with pretty bad wrist pain for the last several weeks. This pain has come from repeated movement associated with knitting and is not showing signs of going away.

I have been praying to God about this - why does my wrist have to hurt so much? This stops me from knitting! Knitting is my gift! You have given me this talent! I love on people with my knitting! It calms and relaxes me and I exercise my creativity with it!

It's funny how we can read words on a page and pick up new things every time we read them. Case in point:

(again, a quote from The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer)

"Our gifts and talents should also be turned over to Him. They should be recognized for what they are, God's loan to us, and should never be considered in any sense our own. We have no more right to claim credit for special abilities than for blue eyes or strong muscles. 'For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive?' "

How humbling. What else can I say?

1 comment:

Anni said...

while knitting may be one of your gifts, your greatest gift to us is yourSELF. you are an amazing woman, generous, caring, and loving. it doesn't matter to me whether you knit or not -- i do love you for who you are: God's gift to us. :)