Monday, December 8, 2008

Menu planning and Monday stuff

With Christmas coming fast as it can, I am finding it a crazy thing to have to add stuff to my already busy schedule. I am getting some great lessons in time management! I am also learning that the world will continue to revolve if I don't get something done or if I don't make a certain function. It was quite freeing to accept that. : )

I took the handmade pledge so the gifts I will be giving, of course, will be handmade. That doesn't stop me from feeling attracted to, and tempted by, all the pretty shiny things I see when I enter a retail environment. That temptation is real, alive, and kicking. I have to stop and remind myself what this is all about. It is easy to speak about the reason we celebrate Christmas, about the birth of our Savior, about living Christmas all year round, but it is more of a challenge to practice that. That being said, just because it's a challenge doesn't mean that I am going to give up. No siree.

Along with the pledge and joining Advent Conspiracy, I made a promise to myself - a way to keep my mind off all the shiny pretty things, and that is to give more of my time in various capacities. This includes spending better quality family time, helping the art teacher at school, and other volunteer opportunities. By stepping out and sharing love with others, by being a light unto the world, I am motivated and encouraged to get my own mind off the worldly things this culture has to offer, and blessing others in the process. From my perspective, there is nothing in the world that is better than making someone smile and know that they are loved and appreciated.

My beautiful family and I are celebrating a very special landmark this week! Thursday the 11th is our 10th wedding anniversary! Woo Hoo! Ten fabulous years down, the rest of our lives to go. Oh how I love this man! I am so thankful to have found him.

So, here's our meal plan for the week. I don't know if we'll be doing anything special on Thursday or if we'll save it for the weekend. It all depends on babysitting. I'd rather save it for a non-school night, maybe Saturday.

Monday - oatmeal and bananas
Macaroni and tomato sauce with ground beef
Tuesday - French toast
Roast chicken with mashed potatoes and peas
Wednesday - cereal
Celebrating a friend's birthday after school so will eat there.
Thursday - poached eggs and toast
Steak and Crash Hot Potatoes from The Pioneer Woman
Friday - biscuits and sausage gravy
Cheeseburger macaroni

2 comments:

Just another mother said...

You're doing so good! It is very tempting, but I find that if I don't look at the ads it seems to get easier - less temptation that way. Too bad I don't have a hobby like you. Guess I'm going to be a baking machine this year. I don't know about you, but the homemade ones seem to be much more special than something store bought!

Mellie_Blogs said...

Agreed, totally. There's nothing like homemade.