Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Shout out to my GFF's!

That would be to my Gluten Free Friends - not that you have no gluten, but that you can't eat it. I catered a small breakfast this morning and one of the expected attendees is incredibly limited at gatherings that offer food. She usually brings her own food, but we wanted her to come and eat and not worry. I immediately had an idea for a gluten free egg casserole - something similar to the popular pot luck fare that uses bread as a filler. I used potatoes to add bulk, which turned out to be a delicious alternative that even my family loved. They never like breakfast casserole, so that was good news.



Gluten Free Egg Casserole
(makes 20 good sized servings)
15 eggs
1 pint heavy cream
1 lb pork sausage
5 small potatoes, baked in microwave
1 lg red pepper, chopped
6-8 oz spinach or chard torn into bite sized pieces
1 onion, chopped
1-2 c shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 375. Cook sausage in a large skillet till done, add onions and peppers and cook for a couple of minutes, till they soften a bit. Add the greens and cover, cook 2 more minutes till they wilt down. (*I did this the night before and stuck it in the fridge till the morning, but that was to work with the time I had. You can do it right away, or the night before).
Whisk eggs with cream then add the meat/veggie mixture and shredded cheese (*I used a bit of cheddar and some medium white cheese from my bag of cheese ends) and season with salt and pepper to taste - I went with about 1t salt and 1/2 t pepper. Spray a jelly roll pan or half sheet pan with non-stick spray and pour egg mixture in. Check to make sure everything is pretty even. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
I served this with fresh fruit and some gluten free corn bread which was a surprisingly good match.



Here is my Swiss chard patch. This is what I used in the recipe. It is so good.

Have a nice weekend! Peace out, yo!


2 comments:

Mary said...

Love that Swiss Chard. I need to get mine planted.

smileymamaT said...

Oh my gosh, that looks SO GOOD, I'm going to have to make it! I have not planted my garden yet... but very soon. Getting the earth turned over. Our snow finally all melted! :)