Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hymn

When I was growing up, I was one of those who attended church once or maybe twice a year, and usually it was under duress. I wasn't raised with church a part of my life. I could recite the Lord's Prayer, say the Rosary, and a couple of lines from the Apostle's Creed. I recited them, never fully understanding the meanings of any of it. The music in church, to me, was the same - I could sing along with no clue of what I was singing. As I grew up, I left church altogether, attending only for weddings and funerals. I say I left it, but I never was really...there. As an adult, after my second child was born, I was invited to a contemporary, Christian, non-denominational church and began my new life as a Christian. My whole life changed, definitely for the better - for the greatest, best journey of my life.

This church that I have attended since 2002, being contemporary, presents music that is upbeat and joyful - meaningful songs you would hear on Christian radio stations. I never spent time in a traditional setting, singing hymns, learning them, hearing the words and understanding them. Occasionally, our incredibly talented band throws in a hymn, and when they do, while most folks around me are singing along without looking at the words on the projector, I am reading the words with fresh eyes, hearing the lyrics, new to my ears, mind and heart. Hymns are a new experience for me.

Sunday, we sang a song that I had heard before but never understood - I recognized the tune but never experienced......it is so hard to put this to words - it felt like I was washed clean - goosebumps covered my arms and legs, my heart felt like it was filled to the brim - with the love of my Savior, with love FOR my Savior. The song is Come Now Fount, and here are the lyrics:

Come thou fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise

Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise His name! I'm fixed upon it
Name of God's redeeming love

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee

Prone to wander Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above

Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above

2 comments:

Anni said...

and the new refrain for Come Thou Fount/Come Thou King:

Come Thou Fount,come Thou King
Come Thou precious Prince of Peace
Hear Your bride, to You we sing
Come Thou Fount of our blessing.

Misty said...

this is my MOST FAVORITE hymn ever!!! (jars of clay have a beautiful version--the classic tune, but w/ their beautiful voices).
the prone to wander verse is the one that has me crying every time..
love it.