Monday, July 21, 2008

My First Emergent Church Experience

Since January, I have been doing so much reading and research and participating in conversations about the Emergent Church, as well as Emerging and Missional (known about that for a bit longer, though). I have read many awesome blogs by Emergent leaders and authors, as well as books written by some of the people at the forefront of Emergent.

Sunday I had the very distinct pleasure of attending a real life Emergent Church in a neighboring city. As the service progressed, I became more and more overwhelmed as I could literally feel the presence of the Holy Spirit among the us in the room! There were four prayer stations set up, and as we made our way from one station to the next, I was struck most by one which emphasized how God speaks to us in many different ways...with pictures of people, animals, nature scenes, etc. This was particularly special to me, because this is how I see, hear, and feel God - through nature and His creaton. All four stations were powerful but this one was the one which touched me the most. I think that was the purpose - to be able to reach everyone where they were! And I am positive that each one meant something different to everyone.

That wasn't the only thing about the service at "the tent" that was unique and beautiful. There happened to be no singing that day (it changes each week). While worshipping through music has always been a big thing for me, the worship experience was so strong that I didn't even miss it till my friend pointed it out.

The youth members sat up front and participated by reading scriptures and quotes to the congregation. They have been reading the book, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell for their Sunday evening group meetings. I am 34 years old and have only begun this journey in the last 6 months! What a wonderful promise for our future that our youth are experiencing such intense worship and participation in their faith community. Wow.

The members (and visitors) were of all ages and walks of life. The tattoed young mother sitting by an older couple dressed in their Sunday best. Not one person batted an eye at the vast diversity in the place.

Walking into the building, art adorns every wall and corner. All forms of it....I felt truly free as I was in "the tent." (by the way, they call it the tent because they do not own the building, they are not held down by building debt, payrolls, etc.) The "living room" (their name for the place where the service was held) was stuffed to the brim with chairs, sofas, and other comfortable seating. It was standing room only!

During the visiting time, you could see the pure love and concern that everyone had for God and for one another. The pastor made time to speak to every person who wanted to speak to him. He welcomed comments and questions and other participation from the congregation, even during his sermon, which was straight from the bible.

All in all, I left there overwhelmed and very, very hopeful. I thank God for this opportunity.

5 comments:

smileymamaT said...

Sounds inspiring. Glad you are knitting again.

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. Have you any links to the tent?

Mellie_Blogs said...

www.journeyifc.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Melanie, found your blog via Ravelry, the Mels board specifically. (I'm a Melanie too!) I'm gonna have to look into the Emergent church thing. Never heard of it, and I thought I'd heard of it all!
Melanie

Mellie_Blogs said...

to Melanie from Ravelry - check out the group on Rav called Emergent Threads. pretty good stuff, although it's been a little quiet lately. Shoot me an email there for intros : ) and I'll point you in a few directions if you are interested.