Friday, November 21, 2008

Pumpkin, pumpkin, everywhere

Today is a chilly day for South Texas standards. It's mid afternoon and only 55*, not expecting it to get highter than that. There is a brisk wind which is keeping the sun from warming us up too much.

I have been fighting a chest cold since the weekend, so I have been staying in as much as possible, besides the errands and appointments that I couldn't avoid. That's OK, though, because I love the excuse to just stay home.

Earlier this week, I sent a request on Freecycle for a pumpkin. I got many responses and went with two folks that happen to be my friends. I picked the pumpkins up yesterday and I took care of them today. I cut them up and roasted them in my oven at 325* for 2 hours. I had to do this in two batches. Once the second batch came out, I got a cookie sheet sprayed with non stick spray, and spread the seeds on it. They were still a little moist, so I let them roast without oil or seasoning for the first 10 minutes. I pulled them out, sprayed with the cooking spray and sprinkled lightly with powdered Ranch mix. Ten more minutes, another little spray and another light sprinkle, then 5 more minutes. They came out all nice and GBD (golden, brown, delicious) and the Ranch was a nice tasty treat. Meanwhile, when the pumpkin was cool enough to handle, I scooped it off the skin and put it into freezer bags. I got 8, two pound bags of pumpkin (which I will share with you if you are local). There was some left over so I looked up a recipe for Mexican Pumpkin Candy and used the rest for that. This won't really be ready for a few days, but I can hardly wait! It will be a tasty addition to our Thanksgiving table (along with pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin muffins....nah just kidding!).

This morning, while all the pumpkin was roasting, there was enough time to knit a mini Christmas stocking in some cool rockin' colors for some cool rockin' friends. I am gonna try to whip another one out before the day is up.

I started making soap and I am totally in love with that - been looking up more recipes that the one I got started with - I love that recipe, but I am looking for a little variety. I am trying to find a way to do this without going farther than the grocery store. : )

I am off to take care of this kitchen which looks like I have been using it all day. : P

No comments: