Thursday, March 19, 2009

A sad thing to witness...

This morning, I took Olivia and Danny to the local feed store to turn in our rooster, Star. I was tired of having to be armed when going near him, and he actually BIT me yesterday, and drew blood! Needless to say, it wasn't a teary farewell. Even Danny Jr, Star's official parent, was OK with leaving him behind.

After the feed store, we were headed off to the pediatrician for Olivia (she's been pretty sick all week, and missing her 3rd day of school today - sinus infection).

As we were pulling out of our parking spot, a small, late 80's model car pulled out of it's spot, but continued in reverse at high speed, doing about 6 donuts, knocking a rack over. As the car came to a stop and I determined that the driver was in park, I ran over to find a confused elderly lady, completely unaware of what was going on. I kindly asked her to pull the park brake, which she couldn't find, so I reached in and pulled it. I asked her to shut her car off and she pressed the gas pedal, revving it up, reaching for the shifter. I begged her to stop. Meanwhile, another woman approached and we talked the lady out of her car, which I then parked. I handed the elderly woman her cell phone and the store owner her car keys. I had to leave to take O to her appointment, so I don't know how things turned out.

My heart broke because she was so sweet and so unaware. This may well have been her last car trip, meaning the end of her independence as she knows it. I know that we will all be there one day, but it is so incredibly sad to see it happen to someone else. I am extremely thankful that she didn't get physically hurt, nor did she hurt anyone else or cause any property damage.

I hope that there is someone who is able to console her and care for her today.

1 comment:

Anni said...

wow! that was some experience! i'm glad you were there and willing to get involved.
poor star! how many chickens are left now?