Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Stitch in Time


It's been a while and a lot has been going on! Lots of activity plus one yucky illness and some fun stuff.


Danny Jr is always full of funny sayings. A few days ago, very seriously, he asked me if I used to have a Sugar Momma or a Sugar Daddy. I was laughing hysterically in my head, but he was so serious I had to hide the amusement. I think he got it from the Proud Family cartoon, where the grandmother's name is Sugar Momma.


Last Friday, we took a friend to see our chicken coop and he commented how the chicken named Molly was so "impressed" that the other hens laid some eggs.


**We got 3 new hens last week - Molly, Lani, and Snow White Ducky. Pictures to come later.**


At first we were getting one egg every other day. Then on to one a day, then either 2 or 3, and yesterday we had 4! Woo Hoo!!!


Danny Sr. started a new job at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage division. If you live in S. Central TX and have mortgage/refi needs, comment here and I'll get you in touch with him. He is the bomb(with lots of mortgage experience). And the Bomb went to Denver CO this week for training. He has been learning a lot and is looking forward to serving our community with their mortgage needs. On the home front, things have gone exceptionally well - we have had company for dinner 2 out of 3 nights. The kids have been well behaved (for the most part, hehe!) and it's been life as usual.

I had a cold last week that ended up in a ruptured eardrum. Ouch! I am better now. Thankfully!

For those of you who are unaware of our current weather conditions, it was mid to upper 80's earlier this week. Our area has been experiencing the worst drought in the country and the worst drought in our history. Yesterday a cold front blew in and it is now 43 degrees and raining buckets. It is freaking ugly out there right now! Blek! But I am ever so thankful for the rain.

I started catering lunch every Wednesday (I think I mentioned that before) - the last 2 weeks I have served 16 instead of 11 plates. That is wonderful! Makes the whole venture a little more worth while. It is also a stroke to my cooking ego - everyone cleans their plate every time. Yesterday I served Quiche Meloise (My take on Quiche Lorraine, recipe will be at the end of this post).

My Jaywalker socks got a nice hole right under the ball of my big toe. I wear them a lot and have worn them down quite a bit. I don't usually wear socks other than the ones I make), so I don't usually have holes to repair. I had to do some research on how to darn socks. Since this isn't what I mean by darning socks, I had to do it the old fashioned way!

While researching, I discovered the meaning of the saying, "A stitch in time saves nine." I love finding useful tidbits of information!


I used an egg from my backyard! You run your yarn across the width of the hole, a bunch if parallel stitches, then go back across the length (or vice versa) and weave through the parallel stitches, covering the hole with a woven swatch of fabric. Here's the tutorial I used.

The finished project turned out more comfortable than I expected.


A smile for you : )
Have a lovely week!!!!!


Quiche Meloise
1 pie crust
1/4 lb peppered Canadian bacon, chopped
1/3 onion, chopped
1 - 1 1/2 c shredded strong white cheese
1 c cream
1/3 c milk
4 eggs
salt pepper
2 T butter

~Preheat oven to 425^
~saute onions in 1 T butter till translucent. Add to the bottom of the pie crust.
~saute Canadian bacon in 1 T butter till warmed through and starting to brown, layer on top of onions in the pie crust.
~add shredded cheese to other ingredients.
~beat together cream, milk, eggs, salt and pepper and pour over onions, bacon, and cheese.
~place quiche in oven, set timer for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 375^ and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes, till golden brown and set in the middle.
~Let cool for at least a half hour before cutting.
~Enjoy!








No comments: