Sunday, August 10, 2008

Natural cleaning for my home

In an effort to reduce the chemicals I use in my home, I have been making some home-made cleaning products. The two that I use the most are a multi-purpose cleaner and laundry detergent. I am so happy with both of these that I will not go back! I use Seventh Generation dish soap, and I am so happy with it! (BTW - it is considerably cheaper at Target than HEB). Here are the recipes for the MP cleaner and the laundry detergent.

Multi Purpose Cleaner
3 c water
1 c white vinegar
1-2 T Dr Bronner's Peppermint Castille soap

(I also use about a c of vinegar and 1-2 T Dr B's in a bucket of hot water for mopping)

Laundry Detergent (I got this recipe from a Quaker friend I made on Ravelry)
1 c Borax
1 c Washing Soda
1 c Baking Soda
1 c grated bar soap (I used Ivory, the cheapest, and one bar was the perfect amount)
10 drops lavender essential oil (optional)

It takes only 1 T of this for a load of laundry! 2 T if the clothes are extra dirty. I line dry my clothes and have been perfectly satisfied with the way they turn out. Nice and clean and fresh!

I feel that, by making the effort to reduce chemicals in my home, reduce packaging, and definitely saving money, I am being a more conscious steward of this beautiful planet entrusted to us by God.

If you take a leap and try these methods (or use them already), drop a quick comment and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Just another mother said...

Very cool. I might just have to try out the laundry detergent. I use Green Works Natural All Purpose Cleaner for light cleaning on my counter tops in the kitchen. I like it, and it's made with some coconut based cleaning agent so it smells good. I also use Green Works bathroom cleaner, and it's not bad. I've been wanting to try out 7th Generation. I know that I have received a few $1.50 off coupons for the product from HEB (during check-out time). Maybe that will help bring the price down a little.

Mellie_Blogs said...

We use Greenworks for car washing. I was using it for the stuff you mentioned, but have since switched to the ones I gave recipes for.

Anonymous said...

I've used a variation of that laundry detergent too. I know there's a liquid version, but I like how much smaller and easier the powdered version. It made my clothes smell nice and fresh, not perfumed.

Anonymous said...

I have used that recipe. I also use BioKleen. One thing I regularly do is add white vinegar to the dispenser you put liquid softener in... I never use softener or dryer sheets and the vinegar keeps everything soft and no vinegar odor!
~ Robyn (RobynjustRobyn)