Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Okra, Most Delicious

Tonight's meal is Okra, Tomato, and Chicken stew with brown rice. I suppose I could call it gumbo, but I am not a true Southern Girl, and I don't use the gumbo seasonings.

I have a sweet friend from Jerusalem who once told me a wonderful way to cook okra, seeing as though I get lots of it during the summer. I have adapted it to our taste, so here goes:

1 pound okra, tops sliced off, being careful not to cut into the flesh
1 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 large onion, sliced
1-2 bell peppers (today I used one green and one red)
vegetable oil
salt and pepper and garlic
half pint tomato sauce

chicken breast- (I season it with salt and pepper and garlic powder, brown it and set it aside)

add vegetable oil to a pot - sautee onions and peppers till cooked down a bit. Add okra and tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. Add tomato sauce and cook for about 5-7 minutes, covered. Add browned chicken (I used chicken breast, cooks faster), cover and cook a few more minutes till chicken is cooked through.

Serve over brown rice. The okra doesn't get slimy when it isn't sliced, the pods have a great, fresh flavor. Enjoy!!!

This can be adapted with sausage, shrimp, no meat....it's all good! : ) And as always, use the recipe as a guide and adapt it to your own taste.

Don't forget desert, Cookie Dough Truffles. Sinfully delicious!

2 comments:

Just another mother said...

Girl, you're Southern and don't even know it:)

Thanks for the directions. Should be all I need to get there on Thursday.

smileymamaT said...

That sounds SO good. Imagine, I'm a Southerner who got transplanted north. How about that. I miss spicy gumbo! With crab legs in it!
:) T