Friday, August 15, 2008

A story I need to tell....

I just finished reading a book called The Shack by William P. Young. I don't want to spoil it for you by going into detail, I can only give this book the highest recommendation....it is a book that I think everyone should read. Everyone.

After I read it, though, and discussed it with a great friend (who recommended it to me), I have realized that there is a story from my childhood that needs sharing.

When I was about 6 years old (appx.), I went to the grocery store with my mom. She just had to run in real quick and I stayed in the car. Before you get all upset with her for doing that, this was in the 70's and we lived in a tiny little town where everyone knew each other. And she parked directly in front of the store's great big windows. (I never blamed my mom for a minute).

In a child's eyes, a couple of minutes seemed like LOT of minutes. My young mind quickly grew impatient. I got out of the car and decided to wait for Mom at the entrance of the store. Do you remember the old fashioned soda vending machines? The soda was dispensed and the dispenser part jutted out (not like the new ones which you have to reach into the machine to get it). Can you picture that? The details are so clear in my mind. Well, I was sort of sitting/leaning on the part that jutted out of a Coke machine, waiting for my mom to emerge from the store.

Remember the part where I said it was a tiny town where everyone knew each other? There was a stranger in town that day. It was an old man. He saw me, a young girl, unattended. He got out of his car...a large burgundy or deep red thing, maybe a Cadillac or a Buick...and approached me. He invited me to come home with him. He said he had a nice big bubble bath that I could enjoy. He had a new litter of puppies...and lots of candy! (He pulled out all the stops). He was quite friendly, and I still remember the vision I had of the bubble bath from my 6 year old imagination! I didn't want to go with him (thankfully) so he grabbed my arm (my right forearm) and pulled me...trying to see if I would resist. I resisted and he tried harder. He even left marks on my arm. He couldn't fight with me because it was in a public place, and it would have drawn attention to himself. He went back to his car and watched me. My mom came out as soon as he got in his car and we walked to our car. We had to pass right by him, and he waved at me as I went by.

I told my mom and she notified the police but the man was long gone by the time they looked.

I am so thankful that it turned out the way it did. I was a lucky one. The terrifying thing is that I probably wasn't the first attempt of this man. There are so many children out there that weren't able to escape the hands of their assailants. My prayers go out to every family that has ever been affected by the twisted, broken people who prey on children.

2 comments:

amycool said...

Hi Melanie

I have been having conversations with my boy lately about this very thing. It is just something that has been in my heart now that he is going to be starting kinder next week. So, we have talked about the good things and bad things about people in public and I think he has a pretty good outlook on it. We've done role playing, scenarios, discussions, etc and I am praying that somewhere in his little heart and mind he has an understanding of the potential dangers that are among us.

We went to the park the other day and I just had a need to discuss the whole 'code' word topic. We talked about why we need one and how it works. Again, he seemed to understand. But, who really knows. Gosh, I tell him to watch out for this and for that....people trying to lure you in with the candy and the puppies. People just being to nice. But then I think of myself. I love kids and they make me happy to say hi to them and talk to them about Thomas the Train or Dora, or whatever...so would I be the kind of person that would go into being careful of? I mean, when I am on the playground...I talk to kids, ask their name, ask about anything just because I love to do it. But then I am asking him to be careful of essentially people like me. People who seem to nice or who are trying to get information from them. So, this is a difficult sitchy.

On The Shack. I saw it in Target on Friday and I flipped though it and it looks wonderful. I didn't want to spend the 20 dollars on it so I will have to wait until I can get it from the library. It seems interesting and a good read. I am anxious to read it and see how/why it affects people. Thanks for the story, it sparked a jolt in me as you can tell. I guess I just have to arm my little guy with information for when we are on the outside. I hope it works. I suppose it is at least something!

See you soon

smileymamaT said...

oh my gosh. My heart just did a flip-flop. How scary and troubling! So glad you put up a fight, how awful. We had, at age 8 or so, a flasher who drove into our little neighborhood (although in a big city) and would ask for directions when a child would approach his car. My friend and I on rollerskates got the full treatment, and skated home so our parents could call the police, but at least he did not attempt to pull us into the car (I did not get close, but she did, against my advice!)
Good that you shared the story. Tell your kids about it, although you probably already have. :) So important for them to know!
Hugs, Tory