Thursday, January 29, 2009

I know it's late but...

Here's our menu for the week. I have had it up on the wall, which is more important than here, I guess! It's been a simple week:

Monday - scrambled eggs/cheese chalupas and burritos
Tuesday - cereal/chicken soup that Danny made - YUM!
Wednesday - oatmeal/picadillo, rice, beans and tortillas
Thursday - French toast/homemade pizza
Friday - Smoothies or oatmeal/ribs, mashed potatoes, corn

Lunches have been leftovers. Today I ate homemade yogurt made with raw milk - I forgot about it when it was heating and it went too long, but I strained it when it was properly cooled - the consistency is a little off, but still delicious - I ate that with a dollop of homemade applesauce that I made y'day with some apples that were no longer pleasant to eat. I will never buy applesauce again, especially since homemade tasted better and wasn't laden with sugar AND high fructose corn syrup and whatever else.

Today's CSA delivery consisted of kohlrabi, beets, red cabbage, and broccoli. I also got some spinach in addition to the CSA stuff.

Monday's lunch at the soup kitchen was a mixture of beef, veggies and rice, served with salad and bread. The meals there are better than any restaurant, by far. Everyone deserves a hot delicious meal that was prepared with love.

I get the Mother Earth News online newsletter and this article was featured last week - it's about making artisan bread - you only have to work for 5 minutes a day for this delicious, crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside bread. I have been making the loaves and the flat bread. I made a whole wheat bread and will be using the other half of the dough to make pizza tonight. The dough stays in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and improves with each day. It is easy and well worth the effort of trying. Even if you have never made bread in your life, you will be able to make this...and impress your family and friends!

We are going to till a garden this weekend....on the *to plant* list is: lettuce, spinach, carrots, peas, broccoli raab, chard, parsley, cilantro, and more to be announced. Oh, and onions. Lots of them.

That's it for now....have a great one!

2 comments:

smileymamaT said...

You can plant now? Really? Wow. I'll be able to till by... I'm guessing last week of May! :)
I did grow kohlrabi last year with my other veggies and although the biggest ones got turned into an ant hotel, the smaller ones were edible and delicious in soups or chopped with other vegetables. I also am curious to try the artisan bread. I keep thinking, must be nice to be able to plant a garden so early! :)

Mellie_Blogs said...

actually, planting season in pretty much year round here! We have very few hard freezes (a handful or less). THe veggie farm I help at has year-round vegetables.
My problem is staying with it after it gets really hot. I always peter out in June.