Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday in My Kitchen



Thursday is veggie day!!! It's the day that I volunteer at the farm that provides vegetables for the CSA I belong to. Early this spring, in conversation with the farmer, I offered to take over vegetable deliveries in exchange for my vegetables. She accepted and I have been working for food since! : )

Today's delivery was broccoli, cauliflower (yes, I will have to get creative again), radishes, and kohlrabi. The farmer gave me a good idea that she got from a market customer - to shred the kohlrabi into a slaw. That would be a great plan for me, because I only like it raw. Just look at the beautiful shade of deep purple. It's even more beautiful when it's still in the garden.

For Dad and the girls' breakfast this morning, I prepared one of their favorites - migas. Take two corn tortillas, tear into bite sized pieces. Heat up about a T of vegetable oil in a skillet (I like Smart Balance oil), add the tortillas and cook till slightly crisp. Add 4 eggs and scramble till eggs cook through. Salt and pepper to taste. That's it! Simple and nourishing. I served it with a half apple each.



Danny Jr. doesn't like most typical breakfast foods. He's kind of hard to feed because he's always hungry but doesn't go for the usual. Since we were in somewhat of a rush this morning, he settled for some cold cereal. For me, I threw together some oatmeal with flax and a half banana for the road trip to the farm (about 30 miles round trip).

Lunch was leftover cauliflower casserole. It was better today!

For dinner, we had Daddy's Super Duper Totally Awesome Bestest Burgers in the World. We make 1/4 pound burgers and serve them on dinner rolls from the local bakery. There is nothing better! For toppers, we had lettuce from the farm, American cheese, avocados, red onions, and pickled jalapenos. There was some leftover special sauce from our Reubens last week - made with mayo, ketchup, and minced kosher and bread and butter pickles. We had pickled okra, beets, and bread and butters on the side.

(sorry it's not the most flattering photo - I was so excited to eat the burgers that I forgot to take a pic - you can see mine at the far end of the plate - the whole burger was Dad's second one, haphazardly assembled. He doesn't eat with his eyes like I do!)

Here's the recipe for Daddy's SDTABBitW Burgers:

2# ground beef
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T Bragg's liquid aminos
1 t minced garlic
1 T minced red onion
1 T powdered Ranch dressing mix
1/2 t. Zatarain's Creole seasoning (or more to taste)

Fire up the grill. Use newspaper for kindling and sticks and branches that you find laying around to fuel the fire. When the fire gets going, add a piece of mesquite. Let it get smoky. Cook the burgers. Prepare to moan and groan with delight!

See you tomorrow!!!!

1 comment:

Grandma A. said...

Oh my goodness! Look at those veggies!! Here in the frozen north we won't see veggies like that for months yet. Our garden is under inches of snow and ice. Wow!!