Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wednesday in My Kitchen

I got two great big heads of cauliflower from last weeks' CSA delivery. They have been sitting in their canvas bag in my kitchen, waiting to be made into something interesting. My family can take cauliflower or leave it, so I had to get creative!

I envisioned a casserole dish, maybe a gratin served over rice. I decided to serve it with pasta instead. The cheese I used is ends from the local meat market that I get for $1/lb. There was a variety of cheddar, American, Muenster, farmer's, Colby jack, provolone, smoked Gouda, and more.



The meat we served on the side was a delicious sausage made from venison and pork. It wasn't gamey at all, and smelled and tasted like bacon. We all thought it was some of the best sausage that we ever tasted.



Cauliflower Cheese Casserole

14.5 oz multi grain pasta
1 large head cauliflower
1 c frozen peas
8-10 oz cheese, shredded
6 c milk
3 T corn starch
salt and pepper to taste
8 Ritz crackers, crumbled

Large casserole dish, sprayed with non stick spray. Preheat oven to 400.

Blanch cauliflower, set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and ad to cauliflower (this all works well in a great big bowl). Add frozen peas. Carefully mix together and pour into the baking dish.

Combine milk and cornstarch. Cook over medium till thickened. Remove from heat, add cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir till smooth. Pour over cauliflower and pasta, then top with Ritz crumbs.

Bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes.

This morning, the girls ate cereal. I had a long night and slept in - Dad took care of getting the girls ready and off to school. I got up a bit later and had coffee and a banana. Around 10, Danny came home to pick something up and we ate some posole together. Little Danny ate an orange. We snacked for lunch (we were doing some emotional eating this afternoon - blek).

I love Thursdays because it is CSA day. It is nice to have freshly picked veggies to work into our meals for the rest of the week.

I appreciate you taking the time to check in on my kitchen! It's been fun sharing this with you! See you tomorrow, and until then, Happy Eating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I want to come to dinner at your house!

Melissa

Lisa said...

Hey Melanie - I wondered over from momsofnb to your blog! You might like this soup recipe we made this week with our csa cauliflower.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/cauliflower-soup/
It was a hit with everyone!

~Lisa
www.fullcirclemother.blogspot.com

Mellie_Blogs said...

Lisa - thank you!! I love PW - in fact, I am making her cinnamon rolls tomorrow.

I am happy for the recipe because...did you see the cauliflower in todays delivery! YIKES!