Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday in my Kitchen (and another special kitchen!)

During the school week, I get up about 30 minutes before the girls. I let Danny sleep in as long as he wants to unless we need to be somewhere. The breakfast that I plan on my weekly menu is usually for the girls only. I don't get hungry till a couple hours later, and the Dannys eat different foods, such as PB&J (Jr) or leftovers (Sr). I usually eat a banana, a smoothie, bagels, or fruit for breakfast. It depends on my mood and how hungry I am.



This morning, the girls ate a half of a multi-grain bagel with raspberry jam, a half of a poached egg (my favorite flavor combo, try it!), and a half clementine. They usually get a whole egg, but we only had one. I ate a Gala apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter, some coffee, and Kombucha.





Lunch was spent at the soup kitchen. I meant to take my camera, but I forgot! Sorry! The chef made chicken noodle soup - funny, he doesn't typically serve soup, but he was using up veggies that were donated from the weekend. The soup was served with crackers, fruit cups, and tea.

Dinner was posole. This is a brothy Mexican soup (some call it stew) that is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. The broth is a rich, deep red combination of re-hydrated Pasilla (0r Ancho) chiles, garlic, and oregano. Pork meat is slow cooked in the broth till tender (I used about 1.5 pounds of smoked pork loin, sometimes I use butt roast or pork carnitas). Since I used such a lean cut of meat, I added some pigs' feet (just a bit) for richness. Add some drained hominy - I can never decide between white and gold so I add a can of each. While the soup is simmering away, I thinly slice some cabbage, chop onions and radishes, tear up some cilantro, and wedge some limes. Serve the soup in a bowl with the plate of garnishes - the top off with a drizzle of lime juice. It is so delicious! In fact, so much so that I forgot to take a picture of it before it was gone!!! I will take a pic tomorrow when I serve myself a bowl of leftovers. : )

Tomorrow I will be baking the friendship bread that I didn't bake today, who knows what else!?

Good night!

No comments: